Monday, June 15, 2009

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs by Molly Harper (also on Vox)

I enjoyed my first introduction to Molly Harper. In fact, I think this is her first novel. Good debut.

Jane Jameson has just been fired from her position as librarian by her old-bat of a boss. After some feeling sorry for herself drinks and a nice chat with a handsome stranger, Jane's car breaks down on her way home. She is then mistaken for a deer, shot by a drunk and left for dead. Luckily, she wakes up as one of the undead. Now she has to deal with Gabriel (her hot sire), Zeb (her BFF), her family (including her dad, crazy mom and insane sister), her (dead) Aunt Jettie, AND someone seems to be framing her for all sorts of unpleasantness.

Jane is an overall likeable character. I liked that she is a librarian with a constant thirst of knowledge and useless bits of trivia and she has a sense of humor. Her relationship with her family is not the best. While her dad is supportive, her mom and sister sound truly unpleasant. She has a solid relationship with her BFF Zeb, who surprisingly is not gay. However, my problem with Jane is she can be a little too zany and quirky. She reminds me of Lorelai from Gilmore Girls, who, while cute and adorable, is somehow emotionally more immature than her 16 year old daughter. The Gabriel character is not very well-developed. I liked what I know of him so far, but he's pretty one dimensional - turn Jane, like Jane, puts up with Jane despite her craziness.

Overall, it was a pretty entertaining read. I would pick up the next book (of course there is a next book) at the library again.

Overall: B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment