Monday, June 22, 2009

Deadlock by Iris Johansen

Deadlock by Iris Johansen (also on Vox)

Emily Hudson works for the U.N. Along with her partner Joel Levy, she goes to war torn countries and saves the artifacts that need to be preserved. During one of these trips, Emily and Joel are kidnapped. Jon Garrett has been recruited by the CIA for the rescue.

I liked Garrett. I thought it was really sweet what Garrett will do for Emily. I liked that he gave her space when she needed it, even if it goes against his take charge, protective nature. I actually liked Emily, mostly because she's not TSTL. She's not as annoying as some of the other Iris Johansen's heroines, who rushes headstrong into stupid situations, not caring that they are TSTL. Emily is more reasonable, which is a nice change.

The problems I had with this book is the plot, which is a bit thin. The bad guy is pretty one dimensional. It seemed like the author couldn't decide if the plot should go a little paranormal or just plain outrageous. In the end, it felt surreal. I didn't get the same sense of urgency as some of the other books I've read.

Overall: C

No comments:

Post a Comment