Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn (also on Vox)

Julia Quinn is one of my favorite authors, whom I just discovered last year. I really enjoyed her series about the Bridgerton siblings. I've also liked some of her non-Bridgerton books. But I'm a bit unsure about this one. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say I loved it.

Amelia has been engaged to Thomas, the Duke of Wyndham, since she was a baby. Even though Amelia is getting to be a bit on the shelf, Thomas is still taking his time. Thomas likes to be engaged and he does intend to marry Amelia ... one day. But just as he's starting to see Amelia as a person and finding out that he's attracted to her as a woman and a person, his long-lost cousin shows up. His long-lost elder cousin. If Thomas is not the Duke of Wyndham, who is he? And is he still engaged to Amelia?

Overall, I liked Amelia and Thomas. But I'm not sure I felt the chemistry between the two of them as much. Plus, I knew this is one of a pair of books. The other one, the Duke of Wyndham, is written from the cousin's point of view. So the entire time, I was feeling like I'm missing something. So I'm definitely going to read the other book and see if I can fill in some blanks, if there are any to be filled.

[Slightly SPOILERISH] I thought there would be more of a mystery about who is who, who is the real Duke of Wyndham. But I guess the titles speak for themselves. Hah! So in that sense, I was a little disappointed because it seemed too easy that Thomas just accepted that he's no longer the Duke and turned everything over to his cousin. I guess I was expecting a bit more conflict, a bit more fight in him. But he seemed to just accept that it's the right thing to do and seemed almost happy and relieved he's no longer the Duke with all of the ducal resposibilities. I dunno, it just didn't feel authentic to me.

So, I'm going to pick up the other book and read it and see how I feel after that.

Overall: B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment